Host a Child
Mending Kids' Host Families are special people who provide a loving home for children who travel to the United States for surgery. While the responsibility is great, so are the rewards of seeing a child's life transformed. If you are interested in hosting a child during his/her stay in the U.S. for surgery, please fill out and submit the application below.
General Questions & Answers:
- Your residence is within 1.5 hours driving distance from Mending Kids’ Burbank, California office
- Completed Host Family Application
- Three Personal References
- Brief statement regarding religious, discipline and smoking policies in your home
- Live Scan background checks for each person over the age of 18 who resides in your home
- DMV driving record for each person over the age of 18 who resides in your home
- Certification of Completion of CPR and First-Aid Training (no online certifications)
- Copy of your driver's license
- Proof of car insurance
- Copy of your homeowners' insurance policy
- Copy of your pet's vaccinations and Rabies certificate
- Photo of you and your family
Yes. You are responsible for providing transportation to and from appointments.
Depending on the child's medical condition, his or her stay may range from 6 to 12 weeks, or possibly longer.
Once your paperwork is completed, we will conduct a home study. A social worker will come to your house to meet with your family, and conduct interviews with everyone who lives there. Our social worker will also ensure that your home is child-proofed and safe for the child you will be hosting.
Thank you for considering hosting one of our wonderful children!