“We had the privilege of hosting a child through MKI for eight months. Not only was the medical technology he needed not available in his country, but his family had an annual income of less than $500 and could not have afforded any medical treatment regardless. The operations he received in the U.S. literally transformed this child’s life. There were so many happy moments, like the first time he could fit a shoe on one of his feet and walk normally. The child we hosted was older, and he was able to appreciate the stark contrast between his previous life full of medical issues and his new healthy life full of promise. Along with the operation came maturity and new-found hope for the rest of his life. It is a rare organization that can make this significant a difference in the lives of others.” – David and his family hosted Zinnah, a teenage boy from Liberia that came to Los Angeles for club feet surgery on both of his legs.”
HOST A CHILD
Mending Kids' Host Families are special people, who provide a loving home for children who travel to the United States for surgery. While the responsibility is great, so are the rewards of seeing a child's life transformed. If you are interested in hosting a child during their stay in the U.S. for surgery, please submit the application below.
What is required to be considered as a host family?
• Your residence is within 1.5 hours driving distance from Mending Kids Burbank, California office
• Completed Host Family Application
• Three Personal References
• Brief statement regarding religious, discipline and smoking policies in your home
• Live Scan background checks for each person over the age of 18 who resides in your home
• DMV driving record for each person over the age of 18 who resides in your home
• Certification of Completion of CPR and First-Aid Training (no online certifications)
• Copy of your driver’s license
• Proof of car insurance
• Copy of your homeowners’ insurance policy
• Copy of your pet’s vaccinations and Rabies certificate
• Photo of you and your family
Do we take the child to their doctor and hospital appointments?
Yes. You are responsible for providing transportation to and from appointments.
Do we have to stay in the hospital with the child?
How long is the child's stay in my home?
Depending on the child’s medical condition, his or her stay may range from 6 to 12 weeks, or possibly longer.
What happens after I submit the Host Family Application?
Once your paperwork is completed, we will conduct a home study. A social worker will come to your house to meet with your family, and conduct interviews with everyone who lives there. Our social worker will also ensure that your home is child-proofed and safe for the child you will be hosting.